Cycling the Pennines
Rookhope is a popular staging point on the Coast 2 Coast or C2C cycleway, which runs from Sunderland and Tynemouth in the East to Workington on the Western coast. This is the National Route 7 as shown on the Sustrans website, which has three alternative routes going through Rookhope, the most challenging of which goes up the Bolts Law track, right past Hylton Terrace.
Part of the route actually passes right by the Terrace Cottage so gives you an excellent opportunity to take advantage of this well maintained cycle route up on to the tops of the Pennines using Rookhope as a base.
The useful guide map gives an outline of the overall challenge – should you decide to take it on!
The North Pennines are a very popular destination for cycling with ideal gradients for really challenging road work as well as the C2C. The Marie Curie Ètape Pennines in October 2014 showed the popularity of cycling across the moorland roads between Rookhope and Blanchland; see more on their website. There are also some useful guides at www.northpenninescycling.co.uk
This year that has been replaced in the 2015 calendar with the Roof of England Cycling Sportive -see below for more information.
If you’re bringing your own bikes and stating in Terrace Cottage, Rookhope, we have a secure bike storage shed on site with room for 4 bikes.
Its possible to hire bikes for your time in the area from:
- North Pennine Cycles in Nenthead not too far away,
- Weardale Bike Hire based at Chatterbox Café in St John’s Chapel 01388 537536 (who also hire electric bikes!),
- Becks Bikes in Allendale Town 01434 618579,
- North Pennines Electric Bike Network if you’re not quite up to the rigors of the hills unaided. The network has installed charge points across Weardale and Teesdale to kep you moving
If you’d like us to organise bike hire for your stay, then please let us know.
The Sherpa Van project have good coverage of the C2C and specialise in a great service for moving your bags about to cover your trip on the route.
Étape Pennines Marie Curie Cancer Care 2014
In July 2014 this growing annual spectacle of Britain’s first ‘closed road’ cycle race took place, passing near Rookhope before the riders took on the gruelling climb to Bolt’s Law. The youtube video of the 2014 run is below:
2015 Cycling events
Events coming up this year include:
- C2C Challenge Ride – 2-4 May; for the 20th anniversary of the C2C route. See more at http://www.sustrans.org.uk/events/sea-sea-c2c-challenge-ride
- Weardale Triathlon – 14 June; Based in Stanhope, using the open air pool and then along Weardale to St John’s Chapel for the cycling portion. See more at http://www.durhamtri.co.uk/index.php/club-events/weardale-triathlon
- Roof of England Cycling Sportive – 30 August; Choice of 90, 50 and 30 mile routes over the most glorious countryside and through the most welcoming of Pennine villages. See more at http://roofofenglandcycling.co.uk/sportive-2015/4587427780
There’s more information at: http://www.northpenninescycling.co.uk/Weardale.html
Included in URL lib.